Careers education helps all young people to explore the opportunities available to them. It enables students to develop the knowledge, confidence and skills that they need to make well informed, considered choices and plans that enable them to progress smoothly into further learning and work, now and in the future.
IAG covers a range of activities and interventions that help young people to make the right choices for them. It includes:
• Accurate and up to date information on options in learning, progression routes and career opportunities.
• Impartial advice and guidance to help pupils make choices.
IAG includes information, advice and guidance on careers but extends to other personal wellbeing issues that pupils can face.
C ontinuing A long R outes E xperiencing E ver changing R oles
At the Academy we have a range of up to date information in different formats, providing detailed information on:
• Specific occupations and job sectors
• General Career Choices and your options after leaving the Academy
• Decision making guides covering Options, GCSEs, Vocational Subjects and A-Levels
• How to write successful CVs and personal statements
• How to be successful at interviews
• Prospectuses from Colleges, Sixth Forms and Universities
• Real life issues giving advice on subjects such as bullying, parental break-up and money management
There are a range of websites that offer students a chance to find out more about themselves and what is on offer to them.
These include www.fasttomato.com which is a great website for finding out more about yourself and the ideal job suited to student’s likes and dislikes. www.icould.com which is an interactive tool to help you think about the possibilities open to you. icould contains a thousand film stories, articles and accounts from real people in real jobs. There is also www.connexions-direct.com/jobs4u which is a great website for finding out more about jobs and their job families.
WORK RELATED LEARNING
Years 7/8/9/10 & 11
These are exciting days where the usual timetable is collapsed. The purpose of these days are:
• To learn key skills in making financial decisions
• Team building
• Problem solving
• Creativity & innovation
• To learn how Marketing is used within the business world
• Interview Skills
• CV Writing Skills
Year 10 Work Experience
All students in year 10 are provided with an opportunity of a week outside of the classroom to gain invaluable experience of the world of work. The purpose of work experience is for:
• For students to obtain a wider awareness of employment
• To increase understanding of the demands of the workplace
• To relate studies to the world of work
• To get an insight into a possible future career
• To gain self awareness and presentation skills
CAREER GUIDANCE INTERVIEWS
Free impartial and confidential careers guidance interviews are offered by our Connexions Personal Adviser Lucy Hitchins who is at the Academy on a weekly basis. All year 10 and 11 students have the chance to have a guidance interview with Lucy. If you would like an appointment please come and speak to Mrs Leighton or email email@example.com In addition, all year 11’s will receive one or more Progression Interviews with Mrs Leighton to help plan their future and make applications to sixth forms, colleges or training providers for when they leave the Academy.
For more information about Connexions Kent & Medway and how they can help your son or daughter, go to www.connexionskentandmedway.co.uk or contact them on 0800 4320207, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org